WAKING UP AT 3AM

111
WAKING UP AT 3am
What do you do when your eyes open at 3am for no apparent reason and you close them and try to go back to sleep, only to open them at 3.07am, unable to appeal to the sleep gods to bless you with some proper sleep?


Off the top of my head, there are several options.
– pray, in the casting and binding fashion, to expel the evil spirit that stopped by just to wake you up
– get out of bed and head to the refrigerator to snack on something unhealthy that will add to your love handles
– pick up your phone and scan through your notifications on instagram, twitter, facebook, bbm and watsapp…never minding the fact that you went to bed at midnight just after doing the exact same thing.


Thanks to Serena and this column, recently, when this happens to me, I wait a few minutes to see if the sleep gods bless me and then I go through my notifications then I pick up my laptop and type. I type whatever comes to mind…true stories and experiences, utter fiction and wishful thinking, to do lists and prayer requests….I just type.


This piece is one, borne out of one of such unplanned early mornings. As I typed away at random thoughts and things, I drifted into wondering why I didn’t just write things down in a note pad (I think I am a notepad addict…I have so many half used or untouched notepads and I would still happily buy or accecpt more as gifts). I figured I would try that morning and so I picked up a pad and a pen. I stared at that page for so long, fighting the urge to just pick up my phone again and go through notifications I had already seen. When it became obvious that my mind was not going to put any reasonable words together, I started to doodle. I drew the most ridiculous contraptions and the weirdness of the shapes made me question the state of my mind.

And then it hit me.
I belong to that league of humans who have evolved passed the phase of writing by hand. We have discovered that it is possible to function with our laptops as an extension of our arms and brains and we truly are unable to function without a keyboard and display screen.



I shook my head at myself.
When the day is bright, I just might take a trip to a store and buy myself a handwriting learning book….the kind that has the letters that you trace over and over till you can write it yourself. Or I might just accept my evolution and make the most of it.


What I will certainly do though, is go to my kitchen and try out the new herbal tea I bought…the sales girl said it enhances brain function.

Source: Superwoman.com.ng
111
....
....

No comments

Powered by Blogger.